Monday, July 18, 2011

Ending of an Era and the Turning of a Page

I think the best way to start this post is with a quote from a great movie.  "Beginnings are scary.  Endings are usually sad, but it's what is in the middle that counts.  So when you find yourself at the beginning, just give hope a chance to float up.  And it will." - Hope Floats 


I received my diploma in the mail this weekend, and it finally hit me that I really am finished with the University of Alabama.  I've been living at home since April, and I moved all of my stuff out of my apartment in June.  I've moved every summer, so I guess I still had the mindset that I was just home for the summer and would be moving back in August.  So, now that I've finally realized that Tuscaloosa is no longer my home, I'm really sad.  I love Tuscaloosa, and I loved my four years at the University.  I'm just really disappointed that it came to such an abrupt end.  Unlike most students graduating in May, I never got the chance to have one last hoorah with my friends. :(


Here's another quote for you: "We must be willing to let go of the life we planned, so as to have the life that is waiting for us." - Joseph Campbell  


This quote pretty much sums up my life right now.  I'm a big planner, and I had planned out exactly what I would do after graduation.  I was going to stay in Tuscaloosa, keep my job on campus, spend all summer looking for an accounting job, and move to Montgomery when my lease was up.  Then April 27th happened, and my world was flipped upside down.  One day I was a student living in Tuscaloosa and the next I wasn't.  My apartment wasn't damaged, so I could've gone back.  But, the thought of seeing all the destruction every day made me sick to my stomach.  (My mom told me that I should blog about exactly what happened that day, so I will try to do that one of these days).  So, instead I just stayed in Opp, and I'm working part time as a math tudor.  I've decided that I want to teach math, so I guess I will be starting my masters pretty soon.  

You know that saying, "Man plans, God laughs"?  Well, I bet God is having himself a good time with me!  In all seriousness, I do believe that everything happens for a reason.  Obviously, God's plan for my life was a lot different than mine, but isn't that usually the case?  Now, I'm just going to have fun trying to figure out exactly what that plan is! :)

On a lighter note, the past four years have been a blast.  I've made some great friends and had some really fun times.  So here are a few of my favorite pics from my college years.

Me, Nicole and Beth at the Daughtry concert freshman year.
My freshman Bible study group dressed up like old women for Halloween.
In Destin at Calvary's college ministry's spring retreat
Trip to the ATL for Beth and Nicole's birthdays
I had to borrow this pic from the internet.  I was sitting under the scoreboard so I never got a good pic.  The scoreboard says Alabama - 36 Auburn - 0 (in case you can't see it).  ROLL TIDE!
Me and the boys at the George's bay house.  SB09!
My roomies and I at our pool day in our front yard.  I wish you could see our kiddie pool! :)
My 20th birthday!
Ty graduated!
All of us right after the Tennessee game!  Rocky Block!
Magen and I at a baseball game.

Same baseball game... 
Finally 21!!!
Me and my favorite Dunbar boys on Bourbon Street!
The fam at Paula Deen's restaurant in Savannah.
Florida game...Ty is having a hard time containing his enthusiasm ;)
Universal Studios 
Me and May
Ty and I at a Braves game (yes it was 100 degrees0
My diploma!



















No comments:

Post a Comment