Friday, August 12, 2011

Subway Art

I've been off work all week, so I've FINALLY gotten around to creating some subway art!  It was really time consuming, but I think it turned out pretty good!


I started on this first project a few weeks ago.  Since I'm always broke, I decided that I would make Ty something for our 5 year anniversary (you know how much boys LOVE homemade gifts…haha).  He loves baseball, so I thought it would be cool to make subway art out of some major league baseball fields.  Obviously, my gift is a little late since our anniversary was July 19.  Oh well, better late than never!  ;)


Please ignore the fact that the canvases are laying on the kitchen floor :)


My second project was a lot more personal.  I thought it would be neat to turn all of the streets that I've lived on or just love into artwork.






Here's a list of the streets I used:

  1. Brookside Drive - the street my mom, sister, and I live on
  2. McFarland Boulevard - the main street in Tuscaloosa
  3. County Road 81 - the road I grew up on and where my dad still lives
  4. Hargrove Road - the street mine and Nicole's apartment was on Junior year
  5. 1612 4th Avenue East - the address of the house I lived in sophomore year (it was destroyed in the tornado)
  6. Paul W. Bryant Drive - home to Tutwiler (my freshman dorm) and Bryant-Denny Stadium
  7. 15th Street - another main street in Tuscaloosa 
  8. Veterans Memorial Parkway - where my apartment was located last year
  9. Peggy Road - where my grandparents live (the dirt road is named after my grandmother)
  10. 17th Street East - street that Chris's house was on (the one we survived the tornado in)
  11. Highway 82 - the road between Opp and Tuscaloosa that I've driven one to many times
  12. University Boulevard - the strip :)
If you're keeping count you noticed that I lived somewhere different every year of college.  That's right…I've moved like 5 times in the last 4 years!  

I'm going to try to contain my enthusiasm about my last project…but let me just say that it's freaking awesome!  I can't believe that I managed to not screw it up…haha!  Here's a picture, so you can understand  what I'm talking about!

On this one please ignore the fact that some of the words are crooked.  I'm a perfectionist, so it's driving me nuts!  I promise the next one will be better!

Just so you know…it is impossible for me to just read this!  I sing it in my head (sometimes out loud) and wish that I had a shaker…haha!

I hope you enjoyed my artwork!  Like I said, it's really time consuming, and it took some trial and error to get the hang of it.  Mom and Magen will tell you that the error part involved a lot of me yelling at the canvas…haha!  But, the end result is totally worth it!

No comments:

Post a Comment